Sunday, July 12, 2015

EASY SUMMER MEALS: MUSHROOM PASTA

It was one of those days. You know what I'm talking about... the days where you mindlessly surf Pinterest until you're so inspired that you convince yourself you're a gourmet chef? Maybe it's just me.

Alas, after looking at so many gorgeous photos of food, I decided it was my night to make dinner for the family. Best part of this recipe, I didn't have to go to the store! That's right, this was SO easy and convenient and I'm excited to share it with you.

Didn't end up using that zucchini because I wanted my brother to have dibs on cooking it. He GREW that monster... crazy right?!


MUSHROOM PASTA - 4 servings
8oz thin spaghetti (or any pasta of your choice)
1/3 cup vegetable broth (chicken works too)
1 handful of baby spinach
3 tbsp butter
6-8oz of sliced mushrooms (I used baby bellas; white will work)
3 tbsp-ish olive oil (I don't really like to measure things most of the time)
2 cloves minced garlic
1/3 cup parmesan cheese (more or less)
spices of your choice; to taste (I used salt & pepper, oregano, red pepper flakes!)
1 tbsp chopped parsley (optional)


1. Bring a pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta according to directions. While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil, garlic, and spices in a deep saucepan over medium-high heat. (Hold off on the salt & pepper)

2. Once the oil is simmering, add sliced mushrooms, salt & pepper into the pan and stir them around until mushrooms are cooked and brown on both sides. Turn heat off but do not remove the pan from the hot stove. Add spinach to pan and stir in; they will wilt as the hot pan sits there. 

3. Stir butter and broth into to the mixture. When pasta is done cooking, drain the water and keep it in the pot. Pour all the sauce and mushrooms from the pan into the pot of pasta.

4. Add parmesan cheese and parsley to pot and stir well. All done! It's really that simple.



You'll know when to add the mushrooms because the garlic and spices will smell AMAZING. It really doesn't matter what you use, just add whatever spices you like and have in the cupboard.

Had to stop myself from just eating these mushrooms by themselves!

Make sure you use a pan deep enough to hold some liquid.

Since we're not baking, spreadable butter works just as well as sticks.

Yummy sauce waiting for pasta to cook!

Don't be afraid to add lots of cheese.

I served ours with a fresh fruit & feta salad. Maybe I'll do a post for that next. ;)

I hope you're as satisfied as my parents were! Good luck!